Featured image Source: http://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/
Sugar ain’t that sweet!
We all require a little something sweet from time to time. For some, no meal is complete without a hit of dessert.
But what we don’t realize is when we use refined white sugar, it only does harm to our bodies in every way being bad for your teeth, liver, hormones, and brain. It is the leader in causing diabetes, obesity, cholesterol, heart disease and even cancer; and yet it’s still widely used.
Listed below are a few of unrefined alternatives to refined sugar we advise you to try. You can add them in moderation to your diet, coffee, tea and favorite desserts without burdening your waistline.
( Photograph by Julia Sudnitskaya/Getty Images )
– Unlike conventional honey, raw honey is processed differently. It hasn’t been heated to high temperatures in order to achieve the golden syrupy look we’re used to. It is great for your immune system, allergies and is filled with vitamins and fit for a diet for diabetics. Find it here.
– A sweetener derived from the agave cactus having a lower glycemic index than table sugar. It is derived from the same plant, as does tequila (so cheers to that). But one must be careful with it on account of its fructose levels. Buy it here.
- There has been a lot of talk about coconut sugar and it has become very popular in the past few years. This sugar is derived from the coconut palm tree and is said to be more nutritious and lower on the glycemic index than sugar. Make the change here.
- Popping bananas into a blender and using it as a sweetener, is probably the best all natural alternative you could use to refined sugar. It works wonders in baking too and adds texture. Find it at your local fruit-wallah.
- As the name suggests, this syrup made from dates is an excellent natural alternative to sweeten your life. Once you taste it, you’ll wonder where this fruity natural sweetener has been all your life. DIY it using this recipe.
- This is a purée made of apples. It can be made with peeled apples or unpeeled ones. Inexpensive to make and one of the most natural forms of sweeteners used to sweeten up your dessert. This can be used baking to substitute fats as well. Make it at home like this.
- This is unique among food ingredients because it's most valued for what it doesn't do. It doesn't add calories. Unlike other sugar substitutes, stevia is derived from a plant. Purchase it here.