What is Almond Milk?
Almond Milk or nut milk as we call it is a plant based milk made by blending almonds with water & then straining the mixture to remove the solids. It has a creamy texture which is similar to regular milk & a pleasant, nutty flavor.
Home – Made Nut milks:
Now, all nut milks can be made at home by soaking a rough 1:5 ratio of nuts to water over night and blending & straining them. Some people add a dash of virgin coconut oil to give the milk a silky texture and some play with vanilla bean or saffron to flavour their delicious preps.
The most important part of nut milks is the texture & consistency. A lot of people like their milks thinner so it can be easily used in smoothies, chai, coffees or golden lattes.
A great way to learn which almond milk to pick is to check for the almonds percentage in the milk, most store bought almond milks are low in almond content with almonds as low as 2% of the entire milk.
(If all that seems like too much work, just simply try now https://www.rawpressery.com/shop/almond-milks/almond-milk-unsweetened.html )
Almond Milk is a tasty, nutritious milk alternative with various health benefits. It is low in calories & sugar while being high in calcium, Vitamin E & Vitamin D. It is a lactose free plant product which makes it a suitable for people suffering from lactose intolerance & vegans.
Uses of Almond Milk:
Almond milk can be used in every way as an alternative to regular milk. Below are some ways on how you could include it in your diet:
- As a nutritious, refreshing drink.
- In your tea, coffee, hot chocolate.
- To pour over your bowl of cereals.
- In homemade ice cream & yoghurt.
- In soups, dressings & sauces.
- As a milk replacement in cooking & baking.
Here’s our simple recipe for you to try!
5 Health Benefits of Almond Milk:
- It is lactose free – Lactose intolerance is a condition in which people affected by it are unable to digest lactose, the natural sugar present in milk. Approximately 75% of the global population is affected by this. Because Almond milk is naturally lactose free, it is a suitable alternative for people who have lactose intolerance.
- It is low in calories – Almonds are known to be high in fats & calories, but due to the way almond milk is processed & since water is a major component, it is a low calorie beverage, which makes it a good choice for weight watchers.
- Dairy free & Vegan – Many people choose to avoid dairy for environmental & lifestyle reasons such as veganism or even due to religious choices. Since Almond milk is a complete plant based product, it is a good alternative to milk for such a group of people.
- It is high in Vitamin E – Almonds are a natural source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that combats inflammation & stress in the body.
- It is low in sugar – Unsweetened almond milk is naturally low in sugar, which makes it suitable for people trying to restrict their sugar intake, such as diabetics.
How to make almond milk pancakes at home?
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 cup RAW Pressery Almond Milk (Plain)
- Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil / Coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp. Maple syrup (optional)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt & keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl pour RAW Pressery Almond Milk, Cocoa powder, olive oil/coconut oil, vanilla essence, maple syrup & whisk it well. Add the dry ingredients to this & mix well. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Heat a nonstick pan & pour a spoonful of the batter on it. Flip once done from one side & cook the other side.
- Serve piping hot with toppings of your choice.